Saturday, December 5, 2015

Small Touches Add Big Flare

My husband calls me a hoarder.  He's right - I am.  I am totally Hoarder Harriet.  BUT, I am a CLOSET hoarder.  It is the only kind of hoarder you can be and still be accepted as a normal and functioning part of society.  If you walk my house, you will see nothing but perfection.  I love to decorate.  And, I do not state that lightly at all.  I live to decorate.  I am that girl that obsessively has my frames at EXACTLY the right 76 degree angle on my display tables so that they compliment the next two frames next to it at an exact 54 degree angle and a precise 87 degree angle.  I actually walk my house every day and move items that should be a millimeter over.  Everything is perfect!  UNLESS....  Unless you should, you know, happen to open any closet, cabinet, drawer, storage bin, wall unit cabinet, or my garage.  If you choose to open a kitchen cabinet, things literally start teetering and tumbling towards your head - slowly shut said cabinet and walk away.  Just walk away.  Opening a closet is not any better - items start leaning and making the sound that a tsunami makes as it starts tumbling towards the shore.  Quickly shut said closet and hustle to the next room to take cover!  In FACT, I even have decorations stuffed in my pantry.  Yup - my FOOD PANTRY.  Any day of the week that you should decide to go grab a snack or a box of cereal, you will see at least 48 Easter bunnies and baskets creepily hovering above your food selection du jour.   It's sad.  It really is - I get it!  You can feel sorry for me later...  Because there is a method to my madness!  I swear.  Simple things that you store and keep on hand can have such a big impact on your vignettes.  I absolutely love, love, love to walk flea markets, antique venues, and the Dollar Tree for unique and inexpensive items.  Pick up that chippy gold frame with no back, that small glass cake plate, or that milk glass vase with a small imperfection!  These items can become simple staples for your decor!


A perfect example are the above vintage putz houses that I put out in my kitchen every Christmas.  They are precious and such a fun addition to my decor.  BUT, if you add just a frame and cake plate, look at how it really enhances these houses!


The height of the cake plate, and the gold frame really brings out the color contrast of the putz houses.


A large putz house also on display in my kitchen.


The large putz house displayed on a cake plate accented by an open frame makes a world of visual difference!

These simple touches literally change the entire look of your displays!  Come on - how easy is it to grab a few cheap frames or cake stands to accent your home decor?!!?!?!  EASY PEASY.  Shhheeeeewwwww...  We deserve a drink!  But, let's make it an easy one to go along with the theme of simple accents going a long way!  I like to call this drink recipe a "Fromosa"!


A "Fromosa" is simply frozen orange sherbet with champagne poured over it.  An hour or so before you want to serve these drinks, put several scoops of orange sherbet on a cookie sheet in your freezer.  When you are ready to serve your guests or yourself multiple fromosas after a tough day - no judging here - simply pull the cookie sheet out of the freezer.  Then, place a scoop in each glass and pour the champagne over it.  Voila!  A fromosa!  Now - gently sip on said beverage or pull out a straw to suck it down as quickly as possible before your child asks why you are eating a milkshake before dinner.  Cheers, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...